Rock salt is a part of winter storm clean up, but it can do serious damage to your lawn. As an experienced landscaping company, Honeysuckle Nursery and Design is well-equipped to deal with snow and ice without damaging your lawn.
What is Rock Salt?
Rock salt is a type of sodium compound designed to melt ice and snow quickly. Mainly used by snow removal services, rock salt is usually applied to roads and driveways before or after a large snowstorm. Rock salt is corrosive, meaning it will damage metal, concrete, and asphalt over time.
How Does IT Affect Your Lawn?
Unfortunately, as rock salt melts the snow and ice, it also melts. When rock salt melts, it infiltrates drainage systems and lawns. This type of salt is not only corrosive but extremely toxic to plants. As the it infiltrates your lawn, it could reach the roots of your plants. Once you kill the roots, plants have a hard time coming back.
Keep Your Lawn Safe From Rock Salt
To help you keep your lawn alive and healthy, we have rounded up a few tips to make your life easier:
- Use rock salt sparingly near your lawn. This includes the edges of your sidewalks and driveways.
- Shovel as much snow as you can. The more snow you get rid of without rock salt, the less of it you will need.
- Find alternatives to rock salt like magnesium chloride and calcium chloride.
- Use gypsum if rock salt has damaged your lawn. Gypsum helps move salt away from the roots of your lawn.
- Create a barrier with the objects on your lawn. By making a physical barrier, the melted rock salt will have a hard time infiltrating your lawn.
LANDSCAPING DESIGN WITH HONEYSUCKLE NURSERY AND DESIGN
At Honeysuckle Nursery and Design, you will get construction and maintenance crews on site who have a minimum of 10 years of experience in all types of landscaping and hardscaping. Our designers will work closely with you to understand how you want to use your space so that we can make the most of your entire site. We are committed to providing complete customer satisfaction and will work with you every step of the way to be sure that you are happy with your new trees. Please be sure to visit our gallery page for unique, creative designs and inspiration!
Whether you live in Anne Arundel County or Northern Virginia, we can help you build your dream space. We specialize in Landscape Design & Maintenance, Swimming Pools, Hardscape, and Natural Stone, Water Features, Outdoor Living Spaces and more! Dream, Create, Experience with Honeysuckle Nursery & Design by calling 410-849-5119 or email us to schedule your free no-obligation estimate today. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Houzz, and YouTube!